So, after much deliberation in my own brain I have realized that the 2013 Ottawa Kubb League may not be feasible. If you think differently, feel free to let me know. We could do a “short” season like the NHL did and only have a dozen or so weekends to make it happen but that will be up to participants.
I would like to suggest we focus on some other things to bring more knowledge of Kubb to the Ottawa area such as the following :
Playing games on Parliament Hill a few weekends coming up.
This would bring some attention to the game. I have the business cards we can hand out. We could have a sign made up (like the real estate signs I guess) and have people try the game and ask questions etc.
First Annual Kubb Canada Open Tournament
- This has some serious potential. Just working things through in my head, we would need to reserve some park space (already looking into that…possibly Vincent Massey Park).
- This would need to be in the fall, I’m thinking Late August-Mid September range (before it starts getting too chilly)
- We may need sponsorship for this event. I’d like to see some type of media eat this up and promote it…perhaps radio/rogers 22/newspaper
- If in August, I’d like to get some celebrity endorsement if possible from some notable Swedish folk in the Ottawa area (I won’t mention names until brought to them)
- The Swedish Embassy may be on board with us for some things (I can always ask again)
- Donations of possible prizes, port-a-potty rentals, drinks/snack foods?
- KUBB SETS. We would need quite a few depending on registration for the tournament. Again, the publicity of the event will drive this need.
My goal for the tournament would be to see at least 20 teams participate. I think that is plausible for the first year. More would be better of course.
I am open to ideas from the Kubb Community as well, so if you have suggestions, comments, ideas, whatever, please post them here as comments. It’s a community effort in the end! (oh, and organizers of the event will be able to participate as well…)